Volunteer Requirements to Create a Habit of Civic Engagement?

From my perch on the second floor, next to a window situated behind oak trees its not uncommon to see the taillights of my teenager daughter's car fade into the distance. Unlike her parents when they were in high school, she isn't headed to a job. She is headed to volunteer, often the head of her brother bops along in the seat next to her.


For her generation, volunteering is as much a part of high school as dances, games and pep rallies. Maybe even more so.  

While there is an intrinsic motivation to be involved in their schooling community, I'd be remiss if I didn't think it was also a function of state policy. You see, Florida's merit-based #scholarships #brightfutures requires 100 hours of volunteer service (fn1).  

Thinking back decades ago when I roamed the halls of high school I don't recall the same type of engagement in volunteering amongst my friends. So, just maybe, amongst some of the flaws any merit-based aid system presents this model also presents nonfinancial benefits - the development of a #habitof civic engagement?

I haven't seen much research on this topic, but I may be looking in the wrong space. If you know of papers or #researchers who examine #volunteerrequirements for graduation and/or student aid would you please send them my way?  

It'll give me something to learn about as I anxiously await headlights breaking through the distance, signaling my kids return from making our community a better place.


---
fn1 - recognizing the freedom of time that is required to volunteer, a recent change was made where a student who needs to work can substitute 100 hours of work for 100 hours of volunteering for the merit-based scholarship.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking Back at 100 In-person Talks

Collecting Data that Matters for Today's Students

The Failure of, and Oppression Perpetuated by, Academic Fiefdoms